Saltar para: Posts [1], Pesquisa e Arquivos [2]


EN - Serpa - Tour Alentejo 6 - Travel Tips

por Turiventos, em 09.01.15
Cultural heritage - historical - architecture - religious - Gastronomy - Wine and Olive Oil .

Duration – 1 week 

Circuito do Alentejo capa eng.jpg

 

5 - SERPA

 

Travel: Beja »Serpa: 29 kms

Travel time (expected): 25 minutes.

The City

Serpa is located in the Alentejo, in the district of Beja, on the left bank of the Guadiana River, occupying an area of 1106.5 km2, distributed by 7 parishes (Brinches, Sinks, S. Salvador, Santa Maria, Vargo Valley, Village new São Bento and Vila Verde Ficalho).

Distance from the headquarters district about 30 km, serving as a border for your region the Guadiana River to the west, the river Chança in this, and the municipalities of Moura, north, and Mértola to the south.

While administrative unit, the county dating back to the 13th century, not finding the maxima correspond with any social unity, political, economic, cultural, and legal prior period. Therefore, the structural framework of previous populations to the formation of the county, whatever the parameter used as a reference, do not understand the rigidity of these limits.

Outside any legal or administrative context, the analysis of stand structure, limited to this space, has to be done in a multiplicity of factors in which the geomorphology and resources play a key role.

Set inside the Alentejo, the Serpa municipality fits the vast surface of flattened land, characteristic element of relief of Southern Portugal.

This monotonous plain, generally well preserved, sometimes slow rejuvenation way, becomes a ripple blanket. The characteristic of this peneplain soils are, overall, profound derived from basaltic rock of gabbro, diorite complex Beja region rich in phosphorus containing high proportions of clay - the pottery - and therefore high productivity. Looking in more detail However, we can individualize the county three distinct geomorphological spaces.

The first, corresponding to the clays of land, involves the city and its immediate term; the second, comprising wavy deformations of thin, schist soil, called Sierra de Serpa, south of the county between the Guadiana river and the river Chança and the third-defined residual relief consists of three parallel ridges of metamorphic limestone with NNW-SSE orientation hiercínica, extending from the border, reaching a maximum altitude of 518 meters in the Sierra de Ficalho.

The Guadiana river is presented as the most important water line of the county. However, his bed deeply embedded in the landscape, about 100 meters below the average level of relief, creates on its banks craggy hilltops and difficult to access. Its location on the west end of the county makes its structuring water line of paper if pales compared to its main tributaries, alongside the banks of the Enxoé, furrow good of this land. But while lanes of products, the river played a key role in structuring the proto-historic settlement.

With regard to natural resources, although with agriculture and related sectors main activity seems to be certain that the people here existing in direct seniority or indirectly accessed ores in the region.

Not recognizing this area deposits of similar importance to those a little further south are located, may, however, be distinguished on the left bank of the Guadiana three mining regions.

The first, covering the mountains of Ficalho, Adiça and laziness, part iron mines, copper, zinc and galenas argentíferas; the second, in the region of Barrancos, comprises copper mines; the third, situated between Mértola and the Chança river, falls lead mines, copper and manganese. Until a recent time was labored on the iron mines of Oratory, which may also have been exploited in antiquity.

 

Castelo de Serpa (Castle Serpa)

The early human occupation of their site dates back to prehistoric times, later Romanized, when he was called Serpa, living with the road connecting Beja south of Hispania. It is believed that here has been a Roman fort with the function to protect this stretch of the route. With the fall of the Roman Empire, met the presence of Alans and Vandals, when settled in Baetica, the Swabians, when it expanded to the South, and more lasting, the Visigoths, successful, from the eighth century by Muslims, that the fortified.

castelo serpa.JPG

 

Castelo Medieval (The medieval castle)

At the time of the Christian Reconquest of the Iberian peninsula, the town and its castle were first conquered or by troops under the command of D. Afonso Henriques (1112-1185) or by the group under the command Geraldo No-Awe in raid promoted in 1166 the territory beyond the river Guadiana.

He returned to the Muslim possession when the great offensive Almohad Abu Yusuf Ya'qub al-Mansur to the river Tagus (1191), when Christians remained in power only of Évora, in the Alentejo. Later, the forces of King Sancho II recover these lands, with Serpa won in 1232 and its areas delivered to Ferdinand, brother of the sovereign.

Two decades later, with D. Afonso III (1248-1279) completed the conquest of the Algarve, Alfonso X of Castile challenged it legally these areas. The Serpa domain and land beyond the river Guadiana also formed part of this dispute, having been transferred to the Castilian monarch in 1271. The dispute ended only in 1283, with the transfer of these to Queen Beatrix, daughter of Afonso X, widow of King Afonso III and the mother of King D. Dinis (1279-1325). With the rectification of the border, under the reign of this, the village received its first Foral (1295), with the same privileges to the residents of Évora, a time that began the reconstruction of old Muslim fortification, taking advantage of part of the primitive mud walls. To this end, the Order of Avis made a donation of one third of the income of the churches of Moura and Serpa to "remake and food of Alcaceres of said castles" (1320). Rui de Pina, in the Chronicle of D. Dinis, says Serpa between the villages whose "Alcaceres and castles made of foundation."

At the time of the 1383-1385 crisis, the town and its castle sided by the Master of Avis, having served as a base for Portuguese troops in several incursions into Spanish territory.

In the Cortes of 1455, the Serpa inhabitants contended that for the population decline of the remedy, caused by wars and pestilences, D. Afonso V (1438-1481) grant to future residents the exemption privilege, almost full for twenty years of military or municipal services. The sovereign, however, limited that concession to foreign and reduced to ten years, the term originally claimed.

Under the reign of King Manuel I (1495-1521), Serpa and his castle are figured by Duarte de Armas (Book of Fortresses, 1509 c.), Where it can be appreciated the size of dionisina work: a castle with the supported by walls and turrets of cylindrical square plan, dominated by an impressive keep; at his feet, the village surrounded by a double wall also reinforced by towers. The sovereign granted the Foral New to the village in 1513, and awarded the domain of the village and its castle to his son, Prince Louis, Duke of Beja.

The castle stands in the center of the village, the two hundred and thirty meters above the sea level. At the highest level, by the wall on the north deploys to fortress, of square plan.

About the village has oval plant, reinforced by turrets and square and semicircular plant towers, topped by merlons prismatic. It was originally tore three monumental gates (Moura Gate, northeast, Beja Port, northwest and Seville port south, the latter now defunct) flanked by two beveled round towers, these merlons with pentagonal shot.

The west cloth of the walls is topped by an aqueduct based on arcade go round, joining the Counts of Palace Ficalho, on the north side and a giant daughter based on a well, next to the southeast angle, built in the seventeenth century to supply the palace. In period opened the Door of Corredoura and the New Port.

palacio ficalho.jpg

 (Counts of Palace Ficalho)

 

The wall of the fortress is reinforced by the Keep, of square plan, adjoining south cloth, is left aside less; by a semicircular plant cubelo the same side and a rectangular plan tower in the southeast corner, next to which is still visible part of the Barbican involved. There is installed the Archaeological Museum of Serpa, exposing the evidence recovered in County region, the Paleolithic, Neolithic, of the Metal Age and Roman times.

In the square border to the Church of Santa Maria (old Muslim Mosque) stands the so-called Clock Tower, of square plan, where stands the bell, with tapered shot of pinnacles surrounded by merlons bevelled. Trace the fence of the village, was transformed into watch in 1440, becoming the third watch tower oldest in the country.

Igreja de Sta. Maria serpa.jpg

( Church of Santa Maria - old Muslim Mosque)

 

Inserted into the cloth of the walls is part of the Counts of Palace Ficalho in mannerist style, initiated by D. Francisco de Melo, Captain-General of Serpa in the late 17th century and continued by his sons, Pedro de Melo, governor of the Province of Rio de Janeiro (1662-1666), and Martin D. António de Melo, bishop of Guarda.

 

Gastronomy

SERPA

In Serpa and the local parishes, the kitchen lies in its quality and refinement plight of quilting. Its excellent bread the fundamental basis that came in line tasty, the lamb meat and pork, as well as game such as rabbit, hare, partridge and wild boar. The all joins a thorough range of spices: olive oil, lard and herbs such as parsley, mint, coriander, pennyroyal, mint river, oregano, among others. This apparent simplicity of means, result the traditional dishes of the region as the "migas", the "bread soup", the "lamb to the shepherd", the "washed" (cold tomato soup stepped), the "gazpacho" (here called "vinagrada"), the "masmarras" (Pope hot bread and garlic), the "beans with garlic and bay", the "beating-dumb" (at the time of the pig slaughter), the "fish stews river" .

There is also the stress two natural products of spontaneous and rare taste creation: asparagus, which can be harvested in the plain olive groves, and mushrooms, caught in the wild area of the Sierra.

Offers Serpa as desserts, fruit and sweets. Fruit is necessary to distinguish the melons, remarkable flavor, given the generosity of the soil and climate conditions. And in the sweet curd tart.

The compose the letter of delicacies should not forget the good local wines, that are distinguished the red, full-bodied, dark in color and smooth taste, awarded at national level.

Is thus constituted the framework can lead the visitor to enjoy the pleasure of eating well; act of culture here dignifies the originality of confection and quality of products.

 

queijserpa.jpg

 

 

Typical dishes

Soups:

Soupa “Lavadas” (Soup "Washed")

Soup "Vinagrada (gazpacho)

Açorda

Meat:

Migas

Borrego Pastor

Masmarras (hot bread and garlic)

Grãos com alho e louro (Beans with garlic and bay)

Surra-Burra (Beating-dumb - pig slaughter time)

Fish:

Caldeirada de peixe do rio (River fish stews)

Snacks:

Serpa cheese

Black pork sausages (Vila Nova de São Bento and Ficalho of Vila Verde)

Espargos (asparagus)

Azeitonas (Olives - Vale de Vargo)

Confectionery:

Folhados de Gila (Puffs gila)

Tosquianos

Turtas

Requeijadas de queijo (Curd cheesecake)

 

WINE AND OLIVE OIL

  SERPA

Sociedade Agrícola de Pias(Agricultural Society of Pias)

Rua Sto. António 8, Pias

7830-232 PIAS SRP

Producer Wines

With almost 40 years of existence the Agricultural Society of Pias produces all its wines from grapes harvested on his farm.

The estate has about 800 ha being occupied almost entirely by vineyards and olive groves.

In addition to the "Margaça" wine, "ASPIAS", "Pulo do Lobo" and "Slopes of Enxoé" still produce oil in Virgin and Extra Virgin categories "Slopes of Enxoé".

Herdade pias.jpg

 

TAHORA - Herdade de Medeiros (Tahora - Medeiros Homestead)

Medeiros Homestead | Parish of Salvador | Apartado 130 | 7830-909 Serpa

  1. + 351 219 242 476 | 914 240 320
  2. + 351 219 244 019

Producer Wines

Monte Medeiros is the result of passion and determination of its owner, António Agostinho Marques Key Figueira, who after visiting the region of Serpa-Pias decided to completely change his life by selling their business in Lisbon to devote to planting vineyard.

Located in a famous wine producing region, this region of Moura not only has the ideal climate and soil, it is also a sanctuary for various animal species. Your whole family is dedicated not only to produce the best wine possible but not bother to maintain the natural and wild side of the site. In its two dams can catch various fish and find a wide variety of birds.

THE WINERY:

This was rebuilt a ruin with more than 200 years, which makes it unique. Its construction was made with the highest esteem to save this treasure of grapes, but never abandoning the original design.

During the harvest, the grapes are picked by hand, selected and transported in small boxes directly to the tanks. During this fermentation process the temperature is controlled by hot water showers. The wine rests in French oak barrels in order to gain structure and body without losing personality and identity.

 

Spaza - Sociedade Produtora de Azeites do Alentejo Lda  *Spaza - Olive Oil Production Company of the Alentejo Lda(

Industrial Zone, Serpa

7830-464 SERPA

Olive oil producers

 

Risca Grande Lda.

Monte Source Corcho

7830 SERPA

Olive oil producers

The company is run by the Swiss families Bernhard and Zehnder, who bought the property at the time of 92 hectares in 2000 and began in 2002 with the olive cultivation. From the beginning, the aim was to cultivate the olive grove in accordance with the rules of organic farming, for which the conditions in the Alentejo region are great.

In 2003 the mill was built to be able to transform the olives produced. Built a large building to the mill, oil storage and packaging.

In 2005 were planted about 22 hectares of new olive grove.

In 2007 Andreas Bernhard, Alfred Zehnder and Ralph Mäder founded the company SCRATCHES BIG Lda.

In 2008, the property began conversion to biodynamic agriculture. And in 2009 reached the biodynamic certification "Demeter".

To ensure high product quality, the processes of BIG SCRATCHES are certificates by the BRC-GSFS since December 2009.

risca grande.jpg

 

to be continued...

Post by: António Duro

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 14:00

EN - Beja -Tour Alentejo 5 - Travel Tips

por Turiventos, em 08.01.15
Cultural heritage - historical - architecture - religious - Gastronomy - Wine and Olive Oil .

Duration – 1 week 

Circuito do Alentejo capa eng.jpg

 

BEJA

Travel: Ferreira do Alentejo »Beja: 56 kms

Travel time (expected): 60 m.

The city

The city of Beja deploys on a hill with 277m of altitude, dominating the vast surrounding plain. The field thus appears as a natural border between urban life and rural life. This fact marks the life of this village since its foundation, somewhere in the Iron Age. Ample proof that time is the proto-historic wall portion discovered during the excavations of Sembrano Street. Find the utmost importance, dispel all doubts about the pre-existence of a previous settlement to Roman times; however, we still do not know that people here would neither possess any information about the way they organized the pre-urban space.

Castelo de Beja (Beja Castle)

The Beja Castle is located in the extreme IN the city. According to traditional sources, occupies the early Roman castrum. It is a medieval castle in nature, arranged in pentagonal plan, flanked by six towers, including the Homage. The construction of the castle wall and was due to the royal initiative, when D. Afonso III assigns the Foral de Beja, which includes the reconstruction of the city fortification system, comprising up the longevity of the building process. The tower, according to some authors, can be associated with the reign of King Dinis. The military architectural complex also includes the curtain wall that limits the old city, which, with minor changes, was preserved until the War of Restoration.

The Watchtower has about forty feet high, in the case of the tallest tower in the country. It is considered by researchers to keep of the most beautiful towers of Portugal, in which converge the military and artistic character in a unique way. It was designed by architects or dionisianos unknown masters; however, increasingly believed that was completed in full reign of John I. quadrangular, consists of three rooms. The first room at the ground level is illuminated by three narrow slits, with ogival dome standing out in its decoration composed of bocetes naturalists and Muslim inspiration alveoli. On the east face of the spiral staircase that leads to the 2nd and 3rd floor terrace and a total of 183 steps.

The second room is the most beautiful castle, according to the description of Tulio Espanca "(...) is the magnificent octagonal coverage, warheads and polinervada nervagem, based on cantilevers with fillet cord and capitelação carved graceful and picturesquely with Atlantean figures and angels, the hardest-working positions. Radiating the axial star, coated with stucco craftsmen worked seventeen bocetes of flamboyant Gothic foliage, grant a movement and particular charm to this extraordinary work of architecture apparent from the early 15th century and the reign of King John I, which also reflect the stylistic and constructive Arab influences. "

In the third room, simpler, stand out above all the anthropo-zoomorphic figurative decorations. We also highlight the particularity of the numerous acronyms sites that participated in the construction over the centuries XIV / XV. In this room we access to the roof, protected with diamond tip of merlons, from which you can enjoy one of the most beautiful panoramas that can provide Beja, the plain in its splendor.

In the parade is the Governor's House, a building that has changed considerably in the late 30 per share of DGEMN, in order to value and preserve the Beja Castle

castelo-de-beja.jpg

 

Museu Regional de Beja (Regional Museum of Beja / Museum Queen Leonor)

The estate of the Beja Regional Museum is housed in the Convent Our Lady of Conceição since 1927 and was enlarged with collections from other monasteries and palaces of the region. Among the rich collection of the Museum, highlight the core of painting, composed of works by Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch masters, to cut a section, the collection of Goldsmith, and the Archaeology section, centered mainly in the Roman period, very rich in this region.

Due to its importance it should be noted, in painting, the frameset of the Portuguese school early, and in particular Ecce Homo (15th century), S. Vicente (16th century) school of the Master of Sardoal, the Virgin of the Rose (16th century), the Portuguese painter Francisco de Campos, and a group of four panels (16th century), the Portuguese painter António Nogueira, whose paintings represent the Visitation of St. Elizabeth, the Descent from the Cross, the Resurrection and Ascension.

Contacts and information:

Beja Regional Museum

Largo da Conceição

7800-131 Beja

Phone: 284 32 33 51 / Fax: 284 32 27 02

Site: www.museuregionaldebeja.net

Ticket price: 2 €

50% reduction for students, pensioners and teachers (with supporting card). Free for young people up to 15 years and teachers accompanying study visits.

Free admission on Sundays.

Tickets give access to the main museum and its Visigoth

museu regional beja.jpg

 

Núcleo Visigótico do Museu Regional de Beja  (Igreja de Santo Amaro) (Visigoth the Beja Regional Museum - Church of Santo Amaro)

The Visigoth collection of Beja Regional Museum, is the core pieces of this most important time in the country, and motivated to Beja the name "Capital of Visigothic Art in Portugal". Was collected over several decades by several experts, of which it is fair to highlight the archaeologist name Abel Viana.

Contacts and information:

Visigoth the Beja Regional Museum

Santo Amaro Largo

7800-263 Beja

Phone: 284 32 14 65 / Fax: 284 32 27 02

Site: http://www.museuregionaldebeja.net/onucleovisigotico.htm

Ticket price: 2 €

50% reduction for students, pensioners and teachers (with supporting card). Free for young people up to 15 years and teachers accompanying study visits.

Free on Sundays

Accessible to visitors with limited mobility.

nucleo arabe.jpg

 

Núcleo Museológico da Rua do Sembrano (Museum Centre of Sembrano Street)

The Visigoth collection of Beja Regional Museum, is the core pieces of this most important time in the country, and motivated to Beja the name "Capital of Visigothic Art in Portugal". Was collected over several decades by several experts, of which it is fair to highlight the archaeologist name Abel Viana.

Contacts and information:

Visigoth the Beja Regional Museum

Santo Amaro Largo

7800-263 Beja

Phone: 284 32 14 65 / Fax: 284 32 27 02

Site: http://www.museuregionaldebeja.net/onucleovisigotico.htm

Ticket price: 2 €

50% reduction for students, pensioners and teachers (with supporting card). Free for young people up to 15 years and teachers accompanying study visits.

Free on Sundays

Accessible to visitors with limited mobility.

Foto Sembrano.jpg

 

Núcleo Museológico da Rua do Sembrano  (Museum Centre of Sembrano Street)

The Museum Centre of Sembrano Street includes a number of archaeological structures that allow, even though it is a small area in the whole of the urban structure of Beja, glimpse some moments of history of this city and how the space here was evolving. The archaeological excavations, carried out during the 80 and 90 of the twentieth century, put the discovered traces that extend chronologically, from Prehistory to Contemporary Age. The oldest, some ceramic fragments, point to an occupation of this site dating back to the Copper Age or Chalcolithic Period in the 3rd millennium BC

Activities: Temporary exhibitions. Guided tours, free, in Portuguese, English or Spanish, booked in advance by phone 284 311 920.

Contacts:

Street Sembrano / Largo St. John

7800 Beja

GPS 38º00'47''88N, 7º51'49''14W

Price: Free

Accessible to visitors with limited mobility

Museu Jorge Vieira/Casa das Artes  (Museum Jorge Vieira / House of Arts)

Jorge Vieira Museum is part of the artistic legacy of the sculptor Jorge Vieira donated to the Municipality of Beja in 1994. Installed since May 1995, in a building of historic city center, old dwelling house and immediately before its adaptation to museum space, commercial property in the area of restoration, the Museum houses an important collection of sculptures, models and drawings written by Jorge Vieira, artist that marked the route of Portuguese art in the twentieth century.

The permanent collection can be visited on the first floor of the Museum. The reception, temporary exhibition hall and workshop rooms are on level 0.

Contacts:

Museum Jorge Vieira / House of Arts

Bull Street, 33

7800-489 Beja

Price: Free

Not accessible to visitors with limited mobility

 

Museu Episcopal de Beja (Igreja de Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres de Beja)  (Episcopal Museum of Beja - Church of Our Lady of Beja Prazeres)

The Episcopal Museum of Beja was founded in 1892 under the auspices of Bishop Antonio Xavier de Sousa Monteiro, by Monsignor Amadeu streets to avoid the dispersion of works of art belonging to the preceding monasteries and convents of Beja. Had the headquarters in the old building Bishop's Palace (College of St. Francis Xavier). Nationalized in 1911, its collection led to the Regional Museum, Museum today Queen Leonor. Restored in 2004, the Church of Our Lady of Joy, as one of the poles of Museology Diocesan Network.

Collections

Painting, sculpture, decorative arts.

Featured:

The decorative group from inside the monument, combining gold leaf, oil paintings and white blue tiles.

Activities:

Guided tours in Portuguese, English, French and Spanish (fixing in advance by email or by phone / included in the ticket price)

Free visit for school groups and seniors.

Contacts:

Largo dos Prazeres, 4

7800- 420 Beja

GPS 38º00'55''86N, 7º51'57''86W

Site: www.diocese-beja.pt

Prices: Normal ticket: 1.5 euros / Up to 12 years free.

Not accessible to visitors with limited mobility.

 

Museu Botanico (Botanical Museum)

The Botanical Museum of Agrarian School of Beja is a scientific culture center, designed for the presentation of temporary exhibitions illustrating the established age-old relationship between man and plants. The Museum aims to preserve study and disseminate knowledge and objects coming from collections and studies, economic botany and ethno botany, developed in Portugal and abroad. Through the study of manufactured objects from plants, vegetable raw materials and natural objects, the visitor can rediscover the ingenuity of man and the creative power of nature.

Contacts:

Botanical Museum

Agrarian School of Beja

Apartado 6158

7801-908 Beja Codex

Phone: 284 314 300 / Fax: 284 388 207

Site: www.esab.ipbeja.pt/museu/

Price: Free

museu_botanico.jpg

 

 

Ermida Sto. André  (Hermitage Sto. André)

National monument

The present building is part of the Gothic-Mudejar building tradition. The temple was probably built in the late fifteenth century or early sixteenth, possibly in the patronage action of Manuel. This is a type of building that is some parallels in the Alentejo region.

 Location: Lisbon Street

Igreja de Santo Amaro (Santo Amaro Church)

National monument

It is a basilica church, whose foundation seems to date back to late antiquity. Despite having undergone several changes over the centuries preserved still part of the central nave.

It now hosts the Visigoth the Regional Museum of Beja, whose collection of architectural elements is the most important group known in the country. Its existence justified the classification of the town of Beja as the capital of Visigothic Portugal.

Location: Santo Amaro Largo

Igreja da Misericórdia (Church of Mercy)

National monument

It was built in the mid-sixteenth century. This is a very important example of architecture of the Renaissance / Mannerist, strong Italian influence, inspired by the famous Loggia of Florence. It was initially designed to butcher, but his aesthetic impact was so strong that quickly was considered to be too noble for this function, adapting the building the church.

Location: Republic Square

Igreja Misericordia Beja_01.jpg

 

Convento Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Convent of Our Lady of Conception)

National monument

The Convent of Our Lady of Conception was founded by order of the first Duke of Beja, Fernando and Brites, parents of Queen Leonor and King D. Manuel, and was one of the richest monasteries in southern Brazil. In the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century, the city of Beja was the scene of major property destruction and this former convent survived only the church, the cloister, the chapter house and adjacent divisions. He is currently installed there the Regional Museum of Beja (Queen Leonor Museum) whose estate consists of important collections, highlighting the of tile, religious art, painting and archeology.

Location: Largo da Conceição

Convento de S. Francisco/Capela dos túmulos  (Convent of St. Francis / Chapel of the tombs)

Is located outside the medieval walls, next to the old road linking the Beja Mértola. It was founded in the thirteenth century, having undergone profound changes over the centuries, and are visible elements of different styles of architecture. The Gothic period on a call Chapel / Hall of Tombs, a family funeral chapel ever built in the fifteenth century, which is considered by some authors as one of the most interesting Gothic monuments of the country. This chapel is classified as a Public Interest.

Currently, the Convent of St. Francis is part of the network Pousadas de Portugal.

Location: Largo D. Nuno Alvares Pereira

Igreja Sta. Maria (Church of Santa Maria)

Public Interest

It is one of the oldest churches in Beja and, according to some authors, may have been built on the site of an ancient mosque. This is one of the best examples of so-called 'Gothic Alentejo', preserving the medieval period, the apse. Also noteworthy, the porch, the baroque altars and a representation of the 'Tree of Jesse', installed in a side chapel.

Location: Largo Santa Maria

Igreja de Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres  (Museu Episcopal de Beja)  (Church of Our Lady of Joy - Episcopal Museum of Beja)

Public Interest

Chapel dated 1672 to be two separate bodies. The simple façade does not denounce the artistic richness of its interior. Here is one of the most important religious art repositories of the city and a set of tiles with great beauty, composed of historians panels 1698 designed by the painter Gabriel del Barco. The body of the church is covered by baroque carving and tiles of the eighteenth century.

Location: Largo dos Prazeres

Igreja de Nossa Senhora de ao Pé da Cruz  (Church of Our Lady of the Foot of the Cross)

Public Interest

The Church of Our Lady of the Foot of the Cross is located in the old quarter of Alcaçarias. The original chapel date from 1499, but the building that now found there was built in the seventeenth century. With a facade "plain style" characterized by austere lines, hardly leaves guess the richness of its interior.

Location: Foot of the Cross Street

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Piedade  (Church of Our Lady of Mercy)

Located within the Great Hospital Our Lady of Mercy, built in 1490 by D. Manuel, Duke of Beja, has changed considerably over time. The interior is coated with gold leaf, and to highlight the main altar and the big screens of Italian school.

Location: Manuel I Street

Igreja do Salvador  (The Savior's Church)

Church whose foundation dates back to the thirteenth century. However the extensive renovations that target was being let not foresee anything that period. The main facade is sober and masonry.

Location: Largo Salvador

Sé Catedral  (Cathedral)

Although there are references to this temple from the reign of Ferdinand (Church of Santiago), have undergone profound changes in the 16th century. In the twentieth century turns out to be profoundly altered when adjusted to see.

It emphasizes the altar dedicated to St. Sezinando, natural and patron of Beja.

Location: Largo Lidador

se beja.jpg

 

Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Carmo  (Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel)

The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is located on the site where once stood the Chapel of Santa Catarina, ordered built by Diogo Fernandes widow of Beja, chief captain of the ship of the armed India.

It is a typical eighteenth-century church, with simple facade and gabled topped by spiers.

Location: Largo do Carmo

Ermida de Santo Estêvão  (Chapel of St. Stephen)

This is one of the oldest shrines of Beja, having been founded in the late thirteenth century to deposit rider Stephen Vasques. In 1915 it was donated to the Holy House of Mercy of Beja, having finished by function as barn. In 1940 it was restored and reopened for worship. It is a chapel of a nave and chancel, fully vaulted, Gothic characteristic of the time of King Dinis, with notorious Franco-Burgundian influence.

Location: Largo dos Prazeres

Ermida de S. Sebastião  (Chapel of St. Sebastian)

Church of Mannerist architecture, popular, with only one nave and chancel. Inside stand out the traces of tempera painting of the eighteenth century.

 Location: Largo Francisco Mendes

Convento de Santo António  (St. Anthony Convent)

Built in 1609, thanks to the alms of the city's population. In the first half of the nineteenth century is occupied by the Ministry of War and transformed into Military Hospital. Today, little remains of the original period, unless your convent aspect: concierge, chapel, cloister, bedroom and garden.

Location: St. Sebastian Street

Arco Romano / "Portas de Évora"  (Roman Arch / "Evora Ports")

National monument

Currently integrated in medieval castle, outside the citadel, this arc has undergone some vicissitudes over the centuries. Some authors point to its construction between the third and fourth centuries AD, integrated into the Roman walls and corresponding to one of the input ports in the city and were demolished in the sixteenth century. It is referred to the year 1938 as the date of its reconstruction, with traces subsisting in buildings demolished however.

It is also known as 'Evora doors' and is classified as a National Monument since 1910.

Location: Annex Castle

Janela Manuelina  (Manueline window)

One of the best examples of this existing style in Beja. The window originally belonged to the Carmo Convent, which was demolished later being placed in the current home.

Location: Afonso Costa Street, No 38

janela manuelina.jpg

 

Azulejaria de Beja  (Tiles of Beja)

By walking through the city streets and the inside of some buildings were not indifferent to the color and brightness of the tiles that decorate. There are five centuries of history tile that also have some history of the city.

azuleijos beja.jpg

 

Janela de Mariana Alcoforado  (Mariana Alcoforado window)

You can visit the Beja Regional Museum (Convent of Our Lady of the Conception) referenced the famous window in one of the letters of Mariana Alcoforado by which felt for the first time, the effects of his passion for the overwhelming Chamilly Marquis rider.

Location: Largo da Conceição (Regional Museum of Beja)

 

janela mariana alcoforada.jpg

 

Passo da Rua da Ancha  (Step of the Ancha Street)

Copy of the steps of the cross, of mannerist style (17th century). The 'steps' are elements of religious architecture, inserted on the facades of some buildings, intended to represent the Stations of the Cross of Christ, and they were covered in certain festivities or religious manifestations.

Location: Street Ancha, 11

Arcadas da Praça da República  (Arcades of the Republic Square)

Arcades Manueline in Republic Square. Time of the sixteenth century construction.

Location: Republic Square

Pelourinho de Beja  (Pillory of Beja)

Was ordered to do by Manuel after the grant of the New Reading charter in 1521. After a busy route the pillory was rebuilt in the twentieth century according to the original model, which are preserved some fragments.

Location: Republic Square

Pelourinhodebeja2006.jpg

 

Arco dos Prazeres  (Arc of Pleasures)

Arch that opened in indefinitely, between the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century century, consisting of full bow, double frames, changed in recent times the base for ease of road movement and which was saved from destruction by the poet Mario Beirão.

Location: Pleasure Arch Street

Janela de Rótulas  (Spherical window)

Eighteenth-century window in wood, designated as ball joints or trellis window.

Location: Ulmo Street

Arco das portas de Avis  (Arc of Avis doors)

The arc of this door was demolished in 1893. Later, granite blocks that formed were discovered in his new role (fishmonger tables of Santa Maria Market), which allowed its reconstitution in 1939.

Location: Avis Arch Street

Herdade dos Grous  (Herdade dos Cranes)

Built around a private lagoon, this farm with 593 acres of land hosts a horizon of observation cranes, which give it its name. In addition to all the natural beauty, has 55 hectares of vineyards, which can be visited on foot, by tractor or horse. The ground sets the wine tourism as one of its priorities, presenting their wines in a set of services: restaurant, shop and test space.

Store

Mon-Sun 9:30 to 18:30

(it is by appointment)

Contacts:

Of Cranes Ltd Estate

Address: 7800-601 Albernôa / Beja

Contacts: 284960000 | Fax: 284960072

Gastronomy

BEJA

Meet Beja is also the flavors of regional products here are made. Products that result from accumulated knowledge in time, going back to ancient practices, which also have the "fixing of hands" with the gestures of crops and do not lose the flavors ever. Meet some of these products.

sopa_cacao.jpg

(Sopa de Caçao) 

 

Typical dishes

 Soups:

Açorda the Alentejo

Dogfish soup to Alentejo

Tomato soup

Purslane soup with cheeses and eggs

Gazpacho the Alentejo

Meat:

Migas the Alentejo

Stew the Pastora

Cooked with beans

Confectionery:

Bread Rala

Nougat

Queijadas of Curd

Geladinhos of the Conception Convent

Cake of Good Hope Convent of Taste

Hope Convent of bacon tarts

Snacks:

Greaves

Roasted lamb heads

Coriander liver

Carrots in olive oil and garlic

Mushrooms

Gizzards in tomato sauce, olives

 

WINE AND OLIVE OIL

BEJA

Gomez Cabrera Lda

Fifth St Peter Baleizão

7800-611 Baleizão

Producer of olive oil. Brands La Comtesse and Secret of the Alentejo.

Olive oil producers

gomez cabrera.gif

 

Sociedade Agrícola Monte Novo e Figueirinha Lda.  (Agricultural Society Monte Young and Figueirinha Lda)

Herdade Monte New Figueirinha, Beja

7800 Beja

Wine and Olive Oil

The company Agricultural Society of New Mount and Figueirinha, Lda. Is established since 1998. The founder is the Commander Leonel Cameirinha and the management of the company is in charge of the founder and his grandson Philip Cameirinha Ramos. The New Mount Estate and Figueirinha has an area of 300 acres of flat land and good quality, near S. Brissos, about 5 km from Beja, Alentejo, the southern region of Portugal. The main productions are the vineyards and olive groves. The varieties of grapes and olives are carefully selected to embody the high quality wine and olive oil, with all the distinctive features of the Alentejo region. The Cellar Figueirinha was built in 2003 and is a modern winery equipped with the latest technology, to meet an annual production capacity of 800,000 liters of wine with grapes from 70 hectares of own production and other local producers. The winemaker is Eng. Sevinate Philip Pinto. With an area of 170 acres of olive groves, in 2006, the company decided to build the mill Figueirinha, with processing capacity of 8 million tons of olives, and produces a high quality olive oil. The technical advisor to the oil production is the Engineer João Gomes.

monte novo figueirinha.jpeg

 

Adega Cooperativa de Vidigueira, Cuba and Alvito CRL

Industrial Zone, Vidigueira

7960-305 VIDIGUEIRA

The Adega Cooperativa de Vidigueira, Cuba and Alvito, CRL already has more than half a century (1960), the result of the dream, the effort and work of the majority of growers in the regions of Vidigueira, Cuba and Alvito (currently about 300 active members).

It is a "home" which seeks daily reinvents an intersection of "lines" that complement and reinvent. The "line" of the Alentejo plain through generations, was continuous and traces the long experience of the cellar, the "line" that is inspired by the sea horizon of other times, in a vision of discovery and conquest of the future, reinvention and modernization; the "line" of a culture that unfolds the discovery of flavors and sensations - wine - united by the people who, yesterday and today, align all these lines a "line" only the CELLAR.

Because the world is a sea of opportunities as well as challenges, today's global; because we believe that, in addition to inserting in a country that is becoming ever more as a producer of fine wines and also a privileged region, the whole of the Alentejo and specificity of Vidigueira, which has a deep-rooted wine culture, and the very name of the Village its origin in the word vine; because it is part a global concept, the discoveries, while competitive advantage of 'conquest' of the global market, based on the unique distinguishing characteristics of our varieties; because, finally and above all, between the effective wine cellar count up the best indigenous varieties, maintained by several generations, of which distinguishes the Antão Vaz variety, also known as 'caste Vidígueira', producing a white unique and that will be the source of the White recognized the Alentejo, for us the variety 'muse' inspiring, the Cellar, a journey that takes place in acts interconnected their wines on a trip to their region, culture and history, a discovery here new 'sensory territories', their wines.

 

A-ADEGA vidigueira.png

 

Herdade dos Grous  (Herdade dos Cranes)

Albernôa

7800-601 Beja

Phone: +351 / 284/96 00 00

email: info@herdade-dos-grous.com

The estate has 700 hectares of cranes, 73 of which are dedicated to the production of wines.

The remaining area is divided by livestock production, olives, vegetables and horse breeding. At the heart of this property, is the dam of Herdade dos cranes, with a size of 98 hectares.

The estate of Cranes aims to provide products and services of high quality preserving regional characteristics combining traditional methods with new technologies.

Wines

Herdade dos Grous 23 barrels Red 2010

Legacy of the White Cranes 2011

Legacy of the White Cranes 2012

Herdade dos Cranes Moon Harvested Red 2010

Herdade dos Cranes White Book 2011

Herdade dos Cranes Tinto Reserva 2009

Herdade dos Cranes Red 2010

 

herdade-dos-grous-.jpg

 

to be continued...

Post by: António Duro

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 22:43

Cultural heritage - historical - architecture - religious - Gastronomy - Wine and Olive Oil .

Duration – 1 week 

Circuito do Alentejo capa eng.jpg

 

Ferreira do Alentejo

Travel: Grândola »Ferreira do Alentejo: 56 kms

Travel time (expected): 60 m. 

The City

Situated on a small hill, surrounded by extensive plains, the Alentejo Ferreira village is at the southern end of the municipality and its boundary with the Aljustrel and Beja.

Here there was a castle, apparently founded by D. Gualdim Pais, the Knights Templar. Avila, who received a charter of King Manuel I in 1516, belonged to the Dukes of Aveiro and then the crown.

The built heritage of Ferreira do Alentejo, there is the parish church. 16th century, has suffered since its construction several restoration works. Inside, you can see a painted vault in the baptistery and the altar of Our Lady of Light, a board also 16th century.

 With about six thousand people, this parish is typically urban, because its main activities trade and services. Agriculture, here, does not play the same role as in the rest of the county.

Capela do Calvário (Calvary Chapel)

From any and all chapels or village churches, evidence is a sui generis the Chapel of Calvary. From bold architecture, evoking the martyrdom of Christ, this small chapel, single copy in our country is a cultural heritage building and became the city symbol.

capela calvario ferreira.jpg

 

Igreja Matriz (Matrix Church)

Despite the extensive renovations that suffered over the years, the Church of Nossa Senhora Da or Assumption, already mentioned in the 14th century documents, has in its main front door topped by an interesting symbol of Santiago Order of Knights Sword, patrons of this village from the thirteenth century. It is also here, at the altar he is buried, D. João de Sousa, one of the main and most important commanders of Ferreira village.

igreja matriz ferreira.JPG

 

Igreja Nossa Senhora da Conceiçao (Church of Our Lady of Conception)

Discreet facade, blue bars, the Church of Nossa da Conceição, formerly Chapel of St. Peter, is the dwelling-house of the small and mysterious image of Our Lady of the Conception that is believed to have accompanied Christopher equerry, noble land, one of the largest in this accompanied Vasco da Gama to India.

Your cruise bow is coated by a panel of single tiles in the Iberian Peninsula, datable 17th century.

 

Igreja da Mesericórdia (Church of Mercy)

Referring to the Manueline style and the stonework where glimpse pinecones, anthropomorphic figures and stranded, is the porch that beautifies the Church of Mercy that originally belonged to the old church of the Holy Spirit, demolished in 1911. This last, collected also a beautiful polyptych painting, dating from the sixteenth century, also stored in the Misericordia church. This copy can be admired today at the Municipal Museum of Ferreira.

Throughout the village one can see solar and architecture of houses peculiar testimony of a vast architectural heritage of old, despite the advent of the Republic on 5 October 1910 much to be depleted.

Inhabited by distinguished transtaganas families, the current village still retains distinct building parts as will be the Solar of the Friars in the street Miguel Bombarda, the Green House, next to Plaza Comendador Infante Passanha, Home Borges or the Solar the Three Brothers just outside the village. For the most part, are property of the nineteenth century, boasting plaster moldings of facades, windows with wrought iron, with interiors exquisitely decorated by stucco relevados and paintings signed by John Eloy Amaral.

Some of these solar have been transformed and are now rental accommodation units, the Solar dos Friars, and rural tourism, the case of Casa Verde.

Gastronomy

Ferreira do Alentejo

In Ferreira do Alentejo practices the good and typical Alentejo kitchen where sausage, garlic bread soup, the Sado eel stew, pork to the Alentejo, the bread soup of purslane, the açorda carrasquinhas, the famous migas and the gazpacho drizzled with fine wine from Herdade do Pinheiro leave no one indifferent. The crown the meal we suggest the ferreirenses (almond cakes and squash).

ferreirenses.JPG

 (Ferreirenses)

 

Typical dishes

Garlic bread soup

Pork the Alentejo

Migas

Gazpacho

Tomato bread soup

Tion of soup,

White beans with carrasquinhas

Ferreirenses

 

WINE AND OLIVE OIL

 

Alenlagar - Sociedade Exploradora do Lagar de Ferreira do Alentejo Lda (Alenlagar - Society Explorer of Ferreira do Alentejo Mill Ltd.)

Agro Industrial Park, Mount penny

7900-357 ODIVELAS FAL

Olive oil producers

alenlagar.jpg

 

Taifas - Indústria e Comércio de Azeites SA (Taifa - Industry and Trade of Oils SA)

Quinta São Vicente Ferreira do Alentejo

7900-193 Ferreira do Alentejo

Olive oil producers

Oil Quinta de São Vicente, Heirs Passanha.

The essential basis of a simple and sophisticated cuisine.

Fine cuisine and a thousand flavors, dedicated exclusively to pleasure.

A single oil with gold reflections and straw, green fruit aromas and intense flavor, between pepper and hazelnut.

The oil Quinta de São Vicente presents with a natural straw yellow color, a translucent appearance, a capricious fluidity and extraordinarily delicate. Subtle aromas of fresh fruit to escape quickly to make room for more intense and wooded notes. It's the taste that the exceptional and unique combination of Arbequina and Cobrançosa reveals its perfection. Essence of nature and source of life, the oil Quinta de São Vicente is the ancient land of the Alentejo plain, worked by our family over 3 centuries. Herb unexpected flavors, apple and tomato, with a subtle spicy pepper and a delicious touch of hazelnut. Voluptuous and sublime notes that will infuse your palate a sweet euphoria. In terms of gastronomy, olive oil is the most Mediterranean dishes. Now sweet, sometimes robust, revealing the unique aromas of the origin of the olives region, olive oil accompanies perfectly the cold, without fear high temperatures.

taifas.jpg

 

Herdade do Pinheiro (Estate Pinheiro)

Ferreira do Alentejo

7900-441 Peroguarda

Wine Producers, Oil, Preserves. Alentejo olive oil. Regional Wine.

The Pine Farm is a family business in which two brothers, Ana beak and Miguel Ferreira Silvestre were ahead of their destiny after his grandfather's death, Antonio Francisco Silvestre Ferreira, an agricultural entrepreneur who arrived in Alentejo, in the late 50 and brought with him a passion for vine growing and wine.

The estate of the dam can also be visited advantage to see all the existing flora and fauna in particular Bitterns (rare species in the country), Cartaxos, Storks Flamingos, Grebes, torticollis, Royal Ducks among others.

hewrdade pinheiro.jpg

to be continued...

Post by: António Duro

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 22:24

EN - Grandola - Tour Alentejo 3 - Travel Tips

por Turiventos, em 08.01.15
Cultural heritage - historical - architecture - religious.Gastronomy - Wine and Olive Oil .

Duration – 1 week

Circuito do Alentejo capa eng.jpg

 

2 - GRANDOLA

Travel: Alcacer do Sal »Grândola: 24 kms.

Travel time (expected): 20 m.

The City

Housed in Alentejo Litoral, the Grândola municipality has an area of 814 km2, an extensive coastline and borders the north with the municipality of Alcacer do Sal, the source with the Ferreira do Alentejo, south of Santiago Cacém, to the west by the Atlantic Ocean, and to the north and northwest by the Sado river, which separates it from the Setúbal county.

In geological terms, its territory is characterized by three main areas, the mountains of Sines, the plain and the coastal strip, which have marked differences in soil composition, in relief, the flora and the landscape in general.

The saw of Sines, predominantly schist, date of lower carbon, is the ancient geology of the Iberian Meseta, and has its peak in the hill of the Watchtower, with 326 m of altitude. Forming a physical barrier that separates the coastal area, with influence on climate and landscape aspects, is the least populated area of the county, and is for the most part covered with cork.

The plain is characterized, the source, the extension and the gentle slopes of the Sierra, and the north and northwest by the tertiary formations of the Sado basin, consisting of sands and clays of the Pliocene. From north to south the forest cover gradually moves from the pine forest mounted, and it is this area that lives most of the population.

The Coastal Zone is characterized by its 45 km of white sand beaches and crystalline waters, and the seabed is sandy as a result of accumulation of sedimentary materials. Into the territory, examples of dune systems of various sizes and typical vegetation, extending then large pine forest patches. The Coast there is the Melides lagoon and, further north, the Sado estuary, with rice fields Carvalhal, and the muddy banks and Trojan marshes.

Despite its extensive coast, the climate of this region can be considered Mediterranean with Atlantic influence. Due to various factors, simultaneously present maritime and continental characteristics, often with alternating days Atlantic and continental characteristics. Rainfall is very irregular throughout the year, the distribution of dry and wet years is relatively random, and the average annual rainfall is around 600 mm.

The specifics of each of these areas and poor agricultural capacity of most soils conditioned its settlement and economic and social development. Its population is around 15,000 inhabitants, mostly concentrated in Grândola, the county seat, and in the parish of the same name.

Ruinas Romanas do Castelo do Serrado (Roman Ruins of Castle Cerrado) (next to Fire Volunteers Grândola)

In the first nucleus was discovered, the Roman period, a set of structures, possibly ancient thermal baths, forming compartments each other, with tiled walls Signium opus, formed by four small ponds, a swimming pool and two rooms.

cerrado castelo grandol.jpg

 

Monumento Magalitico do Lousal (Megalithic Monument Lousal)

Longitudinal plan composed of gallery, rectangular, polygonal and secondary main crypt crypt or niche large, elliptical, separated from the main crypt by passing with septa, and according to an axis oriented east / west, with entrance to this. Gallery marked by five pillars, two on one side, the other three, one large; main crypt with 8 pillars, the largest with about two feet tall; secondary crypt composed of nine lower anchors.

lousal.jpg

 

Gastronomy

In the traditional cuisine of Grândola municipality coexist two fundamental aspects. On the one hand, the result of influences from the interior Alentejo, dominated by broths, the açordas, the jantarinhos, the dishes pork meat and lamb and game dishes; on the other hand, the drifting of artisanal fishing activities along the coastline and proximity to major fishing ports, resulting in several fish dishes, such as: soups and pasta fish, eels (stew, stew or fried).

As for wine, we highlight the Pinheiro da Cruz. As for desserts, you can enjoy the alcomonias and sweets of Melides pinion.

Alcomonias.jpg

 (Alcominas)

Typical dishes

Soups:

Chowder

Açorda Alentejo

Purslane soup with cheese

Meat:

Pork the Alentejo

Pork belly rice

Chicken with peppers

Weak to Figueira

Partridge with bean-rayed

Fish / seafood:

Delicacy eel

Moraine of mule drivers

Snacks / Other:

Migas to sawyer

Purée the sawyer

Mass eggs

Confectionery:

Alcomonias

 

WINE AND OLIVE OIL

A Serenada Enoturismo (The Serenada Wine Tourism) - RIC 1265 -

Andrew Knoll - Sobreiras High - 7570-345 Grândola

GPS: 38 11 '54' 'N / 8 39' 25 '' The

geral@serenada.pt

reservas@serenada.pt

Tel. (+ 351) 269 498 014 Mobile. (+351) 929 067 027

The Grândola strains saws wine with 50 red 2011 years won a silver medal in the International Competition of Lyon 2014.with 5o years.  2011 won a silver medal in the International Competition of Lyon 2014.

serenata enoturismo.jpg

 

to be continued...

Post by: António Duro

 

 

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 22:10

Cultural heritage - historical - architecture - religious.Gastronomy - Wine and Olive Oil .

Duration – 1 week 

Circuito do Alentejo capa eng.jpg

 

1 - ALCACER SAL

 

Travel: Lisbon »Alcacer do Sal: 90 kms.

Travel time (expected): 1h15m

The City

Alcacer do Sal is a historic city, leaning in amphitheater on the River Sado, populated by old medieval quarters and topped by a Muslim base castle. Alcacer do Sal is the seat of a large city (the second largest in the country), with 1479.94 square kilometers of area, but only just over 13 thousand inhabitants, divided into four parishes: Floodgate, Saint Martin, and Lump Union Parishes of Alcacer do Sal (Santa Maria do Castelo and Santiago) and Santa Susana.

The county is bordered to the north by the municipalities of Palmela, Vendas Novas and Montemor-o-Novo; northeast, in Viana do Alentejo; the east by Alvito; the south by Ferreira do Alentejo and Grândola; west, also Grândola, through a Sado Estuary arm and northwest through the Sado Estuary, in Setúbal.

A few kilometers from the city of Alcacer, following the course of the Sado river downstream, is the Natural Reserve of the Sado Estuary, which develops over about 23,160 hectares, most of which corresponding to wetlands in particular canals, estuaries and marshes.

Castelo de Alcácer do Sal/Pousada (Sal / Hostel Alcazar Castle)

Archaeological Crypt of Alcazar Castle - Lower Floor INN - Alfonso II

Daylight saving time (July and August): 9h30-13h, with last entry at 12.30; 15h-18h30, with last entry at 18.00.

Winter hours: 9 am-12.30 pm, with last entry at 12pm; 14h-17h30, with last entry at 17.00.

NOTE: The last entry is made always half an hour before closing time.

The crypt is closed on Monday.

Twenty-six centuries of history intersect in the Archaeological Crypt of Alcacer do Sal Castle, inaugurated on 18 April 2008. The underground, dug in the basement of the fortress and the former Convent of Aracaeli Today, it hosts the INN Afonso II offers a real time travel. In a unique atmosphere, you can see traces of all the peoples who lived on the hill at the foot of which stands the city and then left their mark.

 This discovery occurred in the mid-90s, with the recovery project of the ruins and their conversion to tourism. Excavations then carried out by the late archaeologist and authority of alderman, Joao Carlos Faria, revealed traces of the Iron Age, dating back to the sixth century BC, as well as structures from the Roman period and the Islamic occupation, covering a considerable area.

In the Convent of the project area met medieval walls and also the post Christian reconquest time, partially grounded in Roman walls which, in turn, overlap the older pre-existing structures, dating from the Iron Age. Thus coexist in the same space findings with over 2,500 years of each other. 

castelo alcacer sal.jpeg

 

Fórum Romano de Alcácer do Sal (Roman Forum of Alcacer do Sal)

In addition to the time diversity, the traces shown a plurality of types. Along with numerous objects, is a concourse with a width of 3.50 meters and at the beginning of the Roman occupation, was provided with a drainage ditch; buildings with some grandeur that can translate the existence of a prime area of the urban agglomeration; as well as a Roman temple whose imbricated structures in an extremely rare architectural complex.

The massive ruins, properly cleaned and prepared, then provide a differentiated reading of times there overlap of the oldest in the fifth century BC to the most modern in the 17th century.

Near the Castle of Alcácer today INN, are two archaeological sites dating back to the Iron Age. These structures are identified as part of the "Roman Forum Salacia Urbs Imperatoria".

 The Roman Forum, discovered in 1983, has a great wall built entirely in stone and a rectangular room, made up of white-gray marble slabs.

 Everything suggests that these structures extend into the area now occupied by the Church of Santa Maria, and can be built up before a set that would occupy an area of 80x40 meters, corresponding to a "Provincial Forum".

The estate found also highlighted some fragments of inscriptions, statues and pieces of marble friezes frames.

These buildings were also occupied during the Muslim period (8th to  11th century) as witnessed by the remains of housing, food storage silos, water pipes and tanks found at higher levels.

forukj romano alcacer.JPG

 

Gastronomy

The gastronomy of Alcacer Sal press for its wealth. Based on the Mediterranean trilogy that combines bread, olive oil and wine, the locals loved him herbs and other products of the earth, especially the lamb, pork and game.

Another highlight is the role of rice, pine nuts and other specialties that seasonally born spontaneously in the fields of the county, the case of wild asparagus, the túbaras or carrasquinhas.

Are recognized as regional dishes: eel stew, bread or potato crumbs, roasted lamb in the oven, fried rabbit to St. Christopher, rebolão potatoes with pork ribs, lamb stew, purslane soup, fish soup, bass grilled, mass fish, seasoned beans, bread soup (diversified dish that you can eat with: olives, cod, grapes, figs, fried fish, hake, sardines or clams). Also noteworthy are the traditional manufacture products such as sausages and sheep cheeses, which are greatly appreciated.

The Alcacer do Sal of gastronomy displays still the convent sweets. Are famous their revenues (some secret) in which the quality of foodstuffs was combined with the mastery of Makers to produce exquisite palates. We must certainly not help but enjoy the pinhoadas, the pie pine nuts, sweets eggs, honey cake, the curd cheesecake, the salatinos, the real cake and bean cakes and almond.

Pinhoadas 010.jpg

 

WINE AND OLIVE OIL

Alcacer do Sal

Herdade da Comporta

Holds space, EN 253, 1 km

7580-682 Comporta

Alcacer do Sal

Tel .: 265 499 900

Fax: 265 497 547

Email: adega@herdadedacomporta.pt

Web: www.herdadedacomporta.com

The wine project of Herdade da Comporta is now a success, recognized in several national and international competitions: 

Ultimate Wine Challenge - NY 2014

Herdade da Comporta Tinto 2011-91 points

Chão das Rolas Tinto 2013-90 points

Wine Enthusiast Magazine 2013

Parus Tinto 2010-92 points

Parus White 2011-91 points

Parus Tinto 2011-90 points

Parus White 2012-90 points

Herdade da Comporta Tinto 2009-87 points

Chão das Rolas Tinto 2012-85 points

International Wine Challenge 2013

Herdade da Comporta Red 2009 - Silver Medal

Floor of the White Doves 2013 - Bronze Medal

Chão das Rolas Tinto 2013 - Recommended

 

vinhos_premiados_herdade_da_comporta_.jpg

 

Herdade do Portocarro (Homestead Portocarro)

Apartado 2023- Sao Romao do Sado

7595-040 Torrão

Email: capitao2@kanguru.pt

Head: José A. L. Mota Captain

The red wine "Crazy Horse 2009" Portocarro of the Estate, the Alcacer do Sal municipality was considered the best Portuguese red wine and obtained the best classification in all categories of wines that were tendered in an organization of Vestigius Wine Bar, Lisbon , and joined six experts, independent and prestigious, who evaluated 160 Portuguese wines references, spread over seven categories, and classified by us points. The proof that distinguished the local wine held from 26 to 30 March 2010

HPortoicarro-vinhos.jpg

 

Herdade das Soberanas (Estate of Sovereign)

Monte Sovereign Low (Estate)

7595-077 Torrão

Alcacer do Sal

Tel .: 213844299

Fax: 213878419

With the 2006 harvest, was born the XS, which demonstrates the excellence of our grapes and the typical features of their profile.

We assume the XS with total freedom batch composition from year to year of the existing red varieties in our vineyard in particular Alicant Bouschet, Trincadeira, Aragonese, Alfrocheiro and Ink Caiada. Matures twelve months in French oak barrels and stainless steel vats and makes a bottle stage, which can go up to twelve months, where he acquired a great complexity, before going to market.

It is produced every year.

Awards:

- Commended Medal, International Wine Challenge 2010, England

- Gold Medal, Competition MUNDUSvini International Wine Academy 2010, Germany

- Gold Medal, China Sommeliers Wine Challange 2012, Shanghai

 

bt vinhos herdade soberana.jpg

 

Herdade da Monteira (Homestead Monteira)

Homestead Monteira - Apartado 74

7580-320

Tel. 932705007

Email: terrasdecaminha@gmail.com

Along the Alcacer do Sal, Herdade da Monteira develops his vineyard with high tree density in 4 acres of sandy soil.

24,000 plants of Albariño grape varieties, Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca give rise to wines of complex aromas, floral notes, great structure and high quality acidity, intense aromatic notes and long finish.

The Monteira the Estate wines are the result of various transformation processes made with great accuracy and with great dedication and passion

monteira herdade.jpg

 

to be continued...

Post by: António Duro

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 22:04

Lisbon of the Discoveries - Belém.

Circuitos Lisboa  Belem.jpg

Distance - 35 kms. Difficulty - Ages. Circuit - Urban. Duration - 1 day

 

Museu dos Coches (Coach Museum) - The National Coach Museum received the Award for Best Application Management and Multimedia. Created on the initiative of Queen Amelia of Orleans-Braganza, wife of King Carlos I, of Portugal, the "Coach Museum Reaes", as it was then called, was opened on May 23, 1905

museu-coches.jpg

 

Pasteis  de Belém (Belém Pastry) - In the early 19th century in Belem, next to the Jeronimos Monastery, laboring a refining cane sugar associated with a small place of varied stores. As a result of the Liberal Revolution occurred in 1820, are in 1834 closed all the convents of Portugal, driving the clergy and employees. In an attempt to survive, one of the Monastery offers for sale at that store a pastel candy, quickly called "Pastel de Belém".

pasteis-de-belem2.jpg

 

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos  (Jeronimos Monastery) - 16th Century, with Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese monastery complex of his time and one of Europe's main churches-hall and classified as a National Monument since 1907 and a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1983. on July 7, 2007 was elected as one of the seven wonders of Portugal.

mosteiro dos Jeronimos.jpg

 

Museu da Marinha (Navy Museum) - Was the King Louis the only Portuguese monarch who commanded ships, who began to write the history of the Navy Museum. The July 22, 1863, decreed the establishment of a collection of testimonies related to the Portuguese maritime activity. Reflects the laudable conservation effort, which was observed during the 16th and 17th centuries. This was the case of the Queen Mary II, which greatly contributed to the formation of the core initial parts of this museum, to offer to the Royal Academy of Guards Navy - Naval Academy's predecessor - the patterns of existing vessels in the Help Palace.

museu marinha.jpg

 

CCB – Centro Cultural de elém (Cultural Center of Belem) - Was started in September 1988 and completed in September 1993. On the basis of its construction was the need for an architectural device that could receive, in 1992, the Portuguese presidency of the European Union, and that, at the same time, could remain as a core facility for cultural and leisure activities. The large auditorium seats 1,429 seats, the small auditorium has a capacity of 310 seats and the Rehearsal Room holds 85 seats. Also has four galleries that presents and produces art exhibitions, architecture, design and photography

ccb.jpg

 

Jardins de Belém (Belem Garden) - Garden Vasco da Gama, usually known only to Belem Gardens is an extension of about five hectares lawns and surrounded by a fringe of trees. Situated on the site of the beach where there was leaving the ships in the Age of Discovery, this work of landscape architect António Saraiva has to the center a statue dedicated to the browser of the same name, Vasco da Gama.

jardim de Belém.jpg

 

Padrao dos Descobrimentos (The Discoveries) - The Monument to the Discoveries (or Monument to the Discoveries, or Monument to Mariners) is located in the town of Belem, the city and district of Lisbon in Portugal. Prominently on the right bank of the Tagus river, the original monument in perishable materials, was erected in 1940 during the Portuguese World Exhibition to honor the historical figures involved in the Portuguese Discoveries; the current replica is later, and was inaugurated in 1960. In addition to the main statue of Prince Henry the Navigator, holding a model of a ship, on both sides of the monument ramps there are a total of 32 figures in the history of the discoveries specifically (left to right)

padrao descobrimentos.jpg

 

Torre de Belém (Belem Tower) - The Tower of Belém is one of the most significant monuments of the city of Lisbon. Located on the right bank of the Tagus river, where once existed the beach of Belem. Initially surrounded by the waters around its perimeter has been progressively involved the beach, to be incorporated today to the mainland. The monument stands out for implicit nationalism, as it is all surrounded by decorations Coat of arms of Portugal, including registration of the Order of Christ the crosses on the bastion of windows; these characteristics refer mainly to the typical architecture of a time when the country was a global power (the early modern period). This fortification was part of the defensive plan of the Tagus river bar projected at the time of John II of Portugal (1481-1495). Classified as World Heritage by UNESCO since 1983, was elected as one of the Seven Wonders of Portugal on July 7, 2007.

torre de belem.jpg

 

Museu do Oriente (Oriental Museum) - The opening of the Orient Museum, in 2008, marked a new cycle in the life of the Orient Foundation. The principles that led to its creation remain, as remains the will of serving Portugal and the vocation to contribute to the encounter between East and West and a relationship between civilizations in which knowledge, art and also economic relations replace ignorance, fanaticism and war. The international resurgence of China and India and the crucial importance of relations between Portugal and Europe with the new Asia are now a manifest reality. And if diplomacy and economic relations are essential, they will, however, be based, as in the past, in the arts, sciences and culture, which can represent lasting forms of convergence between the great civilizations. The permanent exhibition "Portuguese Presence in Asia" is worthy of a visit.

museu do oriente.jpg

 

Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga (National Museum of Ancient Art) - Created in 1884, living for almost 130 years, the Alvor Palace and fulfilling more than one of the current designation century, the NMAA - National Museum of Ancient Art houses the most relevant Portuguese public collection, including painting, sculpture , jewelery and decorative, European arts of Africa and the Orient. Composed of more than 40,000 items, the NMAA the collection includes the largest number of works classified by the state as "national treasures". Also encompasses, in the various fields, reference works of world artistic heritag

museu-nacional-de-arte-antiga.jpg

 

 Post by: António Duro

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 00:01

Lisbon romantic Sintra / Cascais.

 

sintra cascais.jpg

Distance - 100 kms. Difficulty - Ages. Circuit - Mountain/Beach. Duration - 1 day

 

Palácio Nacional de Queluz (Queluz National Palace) - Palace of the 18th century, a privileged place for the monarchy in Portugal for holidays and hunting. The famous gardens and its architecture make a harmonious symbiosis.

palacio queluz.jpg

 

Palácio Nacional de Sintra (Sintra National Palace) - Originally built in the 11th century, which was a primitive Moorish palace, located in the historic center of the city and a unique monument, one of the few Portuguese palaces that remain unchanged essence of configuration and silhouette of the 16th century.

PNSintra.jpg

 

Palácio Nacional da Pena (Pena National Palace) - Palace of the 19th century, UNESCO World Heritage Site, built at the highest point of the Sintra hills, over a cliff, surrounded by an extensive natural park, full of trees and plants from the four corners of the world.

Palacio-da-Pena.jpg

 

Castelo dos Mouros (Moorish Castle) – 7th century, dates back to the early days of the occupation of the Moors in the Iberian peninsula. Meandering by two peaks of the Serra de Sintra.

sintra-mouros.jpg

 

Quinta da Regaleira (Regaleira Estate) - Built in the early 20th century, is included in the classification of the World Heritage Sintra. Here the lush gardens and many buildings can only describe to pass through the old entrance gate.

quinta_da_regaleira.jpg

 

Azenhas do Mar (watermill sea)- Surprised by its location with houses to go down the waterfall cliff to the sea.

azenhas do mar.jpg

 

Cabo da Roca - Where the view of the earth mingles with the immensity of the sea, one of the most emblematic places of Portugal.

cabo da roca.jpg

 

Guincho - With its beach known internationally for its strong winds, ideal for windsurfing (windsurfing and kite surfing).

277~guincho-2008-04-19~04.jpg

 

Boca do Inferno (Hell Mouth)- A view on the impact of the waves on the rocky cavities.

boca do inferno.jpg

 

Cascais - The oldest town in Portugal refused to be a city, keeping the identity of the centuries, holiday residence of numerous national and international personalities, from the monarchy of the time.

cascais.php

 

Estoril - A place of thousand sensations, landscapes, white sandy beaches, amusements, where the Casino Estoril, the famous golf courses.

praia-estoril1-300x225.jpg

 

 Post by: António Duro

 

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 16:39

Tour Lisbon 2 - The city of hills - Bairro Alto - Mouraria

 

Circuitos Lisboa 2.jpg

Distance: 3.5 kms. Difficulty: Low Circuit: Urban Duration (approx): - Pedestrian - 4/5 hours

 

Places to visit:

 

Praça Principe Real (Garden Royal Prince): Garden with a cedar with 20 mts height, sore the reservoir water patriarchal.

PReal2.JPG

 

Miradouro S. Pedro de Alcantara (Viewpoint S. Pedro Alcantara): View downtown Lisbon, S. Jorge Castle and Tiles panel where you can identify the locations that can be seen from the viewpoint.

Miradouro-de-Sao-Pedro-de-Alcantara-Lisboa-1-21.jp

 

Convento do Carmo: Church and Convento do Carmo, was founded in 1389 by Nuno Alvares Pereira, the Holy Constable, in memory of victory of Aljubarrota. Works Museum of Architecture, the oldest museum in Portugal.

convento do carmo.jpg

 

Largo de Camoes: In the center of the square is a statue of Luis Camoes, Poet "The Lusiadas".

Largo_Camoes_in_Chiado_district (1).jpg

 

Teatro S. Luis (S. Luis Theater): Founded in 1894 by a theater manager of Rio Janeiro, was film room and currently and stage cultural and educational activities.

teatro-sao-luiz.jpg

 

Teatro S. Carlos (S. Carlos Theater): Founded in 1793, remains to timeliness as single theater devoted to opera and symphonic choral music, set in a historic center.

teatro s carlos.jpg

 

Chiado: Place located between Bairro Alto and the downtown, frequented by literary figures and the bohemian life of the city.

chiado.jpg

 

Praça do Rossio (Rossio Square): Also known as D. Pedro V Square, one of the nerve center of the city, where we found the statue, the twin sources, the National Theatre D. Maria II and the architecture of their driveways.

vista--rossio-praça_3671.jpg

 

Teatro D. Maria II (D. Maria II Theatre): Founded in 1836, around the time of the birthday of Queen Mary II of Portugal, was later leable by Passos Manuel (Prime Ministry of Monarchy), Almeida Garrett the organization to think the theater. Built with the neoclassical style.

teatro d maria.jpg

 

Praça dos Restauradores (Square of Restores): Situated in plea city next to Rossio, sports a obelisk in the middle of the square recalling the liberation of the country from Spanish rule in December 1, 1640.

view-of-praca-dos-restauradores.jpg

 

Coliseu dos Recreios (Lisbon Coliseum): Opened in 1890 as the great room of Lisbon shows. Innovative by its architecture in iron.

coliseu recreios.jpg

 

Praça da Figueira (Figueira Square): Before the 1755 earthquake, was occupied by the Hospital of All Saints. After the earthquake, was transformed into the main market of Lisbon. Currently bearing the statue of King Joao I.

praça figueira.jpg

 

Praça Martim Moniz (Martim Moniz Square): Square with the name of a knight who defended the entering one of the access doors to the Moorish castle (St. George), at the time of the conquest of Lisbon by D. Afonso Henriques. For this square we can enter the Moorish quarter.

 

praça martim moniz.jpg

 

Mouraria: One of the most typical neighborhoods of Lisbon, the name given by D. Afonso Henriques, after the conquest of Lisbon from the Moors, confining that zone to Muslims. With its melodies and chants led to Fado. Its greatest exponent is due to Maria Severa, singer who lived in that neighborhood.

Capa2_DiaPortugalMouraria1.jpg

 Post by: António Duro

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 16:57

EN - Tour Lisbon 1 - Alfama - Travel Tips

por Turiventos, em 02.12.14

Travel Tips

Tour Lisbon 1 - Alfama - The foundation of the City

 

Distance: 6 kms. Difficulty: Medium circuit Duration Urban (approx): - 4/5 hours

 

 

trajeto alfama.jpg

 

Places to visit:

Terreiro do Paço: Surrounding area - Statue Joseph I - Arc of Augusta Street - Lisbon Story Center - Desk Tourism Lisbon - Beer Museum -Rio Tagus.

 

terreiro paço.jpg

 

Tram 28: Typical electric soaring Alfama

eletrico 28.jpg

 

 

Miradouro Nossa Senhora do Monte (Viewpoint Our Lady Mount):. Views of Lisbon, near the castle, Martim Moniz, Rossio, Bairro Alto, Tagus River, Bridge April 25, Almada.

miradouro sra monte.jpg

 

 

Miradouro Portas do Sol (Viewpoint Portas do Sol): View east of the city, National Pantheon, St. Vincent Church Outside, Some New, Statue St. Vincent.

 

miradouro portas sol.jpg

 

 

Castelo de S. Jorge (Castle St. George): Free admission - Castle Interior view is paid

castelo s jorge.jpg

 

 

Miradouro de Santa Luzia (Sta Luzia viewpoint):. View Tagus River and Alfama

 

miradouro sta luzia.jpg

 

 

Teatro Romano (Roman Theatre): Traces of a Roman theater

 

teatro romano.jpg

 

 

Igreja de Sto. António (Church Sto. Antonio): Matchmaker Church of Lisbon and Anthony Museum

 

igreja sto antonio.jpg

 

 

Sé de Lisboa (Lisbon Cathedral): Emblematic church Lisbon

 

Sé.jpg

 

 

Ruas de Alfama (Alfama streets): Route the typical streets of Alfama, Fado houses

 

Ruas alfama.jpg

 

 

Largo do Chafariz Dentro (Largo Fountain Inside): Century city gate location. XII

Museu do Fado (Fado Museum): Museum with the history of Fado "Intangible Heritage of Humanity"

 

museu fado.jpg

 

 

Casa dos Bicos: Works Foundation José Saramago

Casa dos icos.jpg

 

 

 

post by: António Duro

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 00:20


Mais sobre mim

foto do autor




Arquivo

  1. 2018
  2. J
  3. F
  4. M
  5. A
  6. M
  7. J
  8. J
  9. A
  10. S
  11. O
  12. N
  13. D
  14. 2017
  15. J
  16. F
  17. M
  18. A
  19. M
  20. J
  21. J
  22. A
  23. S
  24. O
  25. N
  26. D
  27. 2016
  28. J
  29. F
  30. M
  31. A
  32. M
  33. J
  34. J
  35. A
  36. S
  37. O
  38. N
  39. D
  40. 2015
  41. J
  42. F
  43. M
  44. A
  45. M
  46. J
  47. J
  48. A
  49. S
  50. O
  51. N
  52. D
  53. 2014
  54. J
  55. F
  56. M
  57. A
  58. M
  59. J
  60. J
  61. A
  62. S
  63. O
  64. N
  65. D