Saltar para: Post [1], Pesquisa e Arquivos [2]



EN - Beja -Tour Alentejo 5 - Travel Tips

por Turiventos, em 08.01.15
Cultural heritage - historical - architecture - religious - Gastronomy - Wine and Olive Oil .

Duration – 1 week 

Circuito do Alentejo capa eng.jpg

 

BEJA

Travel: Ferreira do Alentejo »Beja: 56 kms

Travel time (expected): 60 m.

The city

The city of Beja deploys on a hill with 277m of altitude, dominating the vast surrounding plain. The field thus appears as a natural border between urban life and rural life. This fact marks the life of this village since its foundation, somewhere in the Iron Age. Ample proof that time is the proto-historic wall portion discovered during the excavations of Sembrano Street. Find the utmost importance, dispel all doubts about the pre-existence of a previous settlement to Roman times; however, we still do not know that people here would neither possess any information about the way they organized the pre-urban space.

Castelo de Beja (Beja Castle)

The Beja Castle is located in the extreme IN the city. According to traditional sources, occupies the early Roman castrum. It is a medieval castle in nature, arranged in pentagonal plan, flanked by six towers, including the Homage. The construction of the castle wall and was due to the royal initiative, when D. Afonso III assigns the Foral de Beja, which includes the reconstruction of the city fortification system, comprising up the longevity of the building process. The tower, according to some authors, can be associated with the reign of King Dinis. The military architectural complex also includes the curtain wall that limits the old city, which, with minor changes, was preserved until the War of Restoration.

The Watchtower has about forty feet high, in the case of the tallest tower in the country. It is considered by researchers to keep of the most beautiful towers of Portugal, in which converge the military and artistic character in a unique way. It was designed by architects or dionisianos unknown masters; however, increasingly believed that was completed in full reign of John I. quadrangular, consists of three rooms. The first room at the ground level is illuminated by three narrow slits, with ogival dome standing out in its decoration composed of bocetes naturalists and Muslim inspiration alveoli. On the east face of the spiral staircase that leads to the 2nd and 3rd floor terrace and a total of 183 steps.

The second room is the most beautiful castle, according to the description of Tulio Espanca "(...) is the magnificent octagonal coverage, warheads and polinervada nervagem, based on cantilevers with fillet cord and capitelação carved graceful and picturesquely with Atlantean figures and angels, the hardest-working positions. Radiating the axial star, coated with stucco craftsmen worked seventeen bocetes of flamboyant Gothic foliage, grant a movement and particular charm to this extraordinary work of architecture apparent from the early 15th century and the reign of King John I, which also reflect the stylistic and constructive Arab influences. "

In the third room, simpler, stand out above all the anthropo-zoomorphic figurative decorations. We also highlight the particularity of the numerous acronyms sites that participated in the construction over the centuries XIV / XV. In this room we access to the roof, protected with diamond tip of merlons, from which you can enjoy one of the most beautiful panoramas that can provide Beja, the plain in its splendor.

In the parade is the Governor's House, a building that has changed considerably in the late 30 per share of DGEMN, in order to value and preserve the Beja Castle

castelo-de-beja.jpg

 

Museu Regional de Beja (Regional Museum of Beja / Museum Queen Leonor)

The estate of the Beja Regional Museum is housed in the Convent Our Lady of Conceição since 1927 and was enlarged with collections from other monasteries and palaces of the region. Among the rich collection of the Museum, highlight the core of painting, composed of works by Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch masters, to cut a section, the collection of Goldsmith, and the Archaeology section, centered mainly in the Roman period, very rich in this region.

Due to its importance it should be noted, in painting, the frameset of the Portuguese school early, and in particular Ecce Homo (15th century), S. Vicente (16th century) school of the Master of Sardoal, the Virgin of the Rose (16th century), the Portuguese painter Francisco de Campos, and a group of four panels (16th century), the Portuguese painter António Nogueira, whose paintings represent the Visitation of St. Elizabeth, the Descent from the Cross, the Resurrection and Ascension.

Contacts and information:

Beja Regional Museum

Largo da Conceição

7800-131 Beja

Phone: 284 32 33 51 / Fax: 284 32 27 02

Site: www.museuregionaldebeja.net

Ticket price: 2 €

50% reduction for students, pensioners and teachers (with supporting card). Free for young people up to 15 years and teachers accompanying study visits.

Free admission on Sundays.

Tickets give access to the main museum and its Visigoth

museu regional beja.jpg

 

Núcleo Visigótico do Museu Regional de Beja  (Igreja de Santo Amaro) (Visigoth the Beja Regional Museum - Church of Santo Amaro)

The Visigoth collection of Beja Regional Museum, is the core pieces of this most important time in the country, and motivated to Beja the name "Capital of Visigothic Art in Portugal". Was collected over several decades by several experts, of which it is fair to highlight the archaeologist name Abel Viana.

Contacts and information:

Visigoth the Beja Regional Museum

Santo Amaro Largo

7800-263 Beja

Phone: 284 32 14 65 / Fax: 284 32 27 02

Site: http://www.museuregionaldebeja.net/onucleovisigotico.htm

Ticket price: 2 €

50% reduction for students, pensioners and teachers (with supporting card). Free for young people up to 15 years and teachers accompanying study visits.

Free on Sundays

Accessible to visitors with limited mobility.

nucleo arabe.jpg

 

Núcleo Museológico da Rua do Sembrano (Museum Centre of Sembrano Street)

The Visigoth collection of Beja Regional Museum, is the core pieces of this most important time in the country, and motivated to Beja the name "Capital of Visigothic Art in Portugal". Was collected over several decades by several experts, of which it is fair to highlight the archaeologist name Abel Viana.

Contacts and information:

Visigoth the Beja Regional Museum

Santo Amaro Largo

7800-263 Beja

Phone: 284 32 14 65 / Fax: 284 32 27 02

Site: http://www.museuregionaldebeja.net/onucleovisigotico.htm

Ticket price: 2 €

50% reduction for students, pensioners and teachers (with supporting card). Free for young people up to 15 years and teachers accompanying study visits.

Free on Sundays

Accessible to visitors with limited mobility.

Foto Sembrano.jpg

 

Núcleo Museológico da Rua do Sembrano  (Museum Centre of Sembrano Street)

The Museum Centre of Sembrano Street includes a number of archaeological structures that allow, even though it is a small area in the whole of the urban structure of Beja, glimpse some moments of history of this city and how the space here was evolving. The archaeological excavations, carried out during the 80 and 90 of the twentieth century, put the discovered traces that extend chronologically, from Prehistory to Contemporary Age. The oldest, some ceramic fragments, point to an occupation of this site dating back to the Copper Age or Chalcolithic Period in the 3rd millennium BC

Activities: Temporary exhibitions. Guided tours, free, in Portuguese, English or Spanish, booked in advance by phone 284 311 920.

Contacts:

Street Sembrano / Largo St. John

7800 Beja

GPS 38º00'47''88N, 7º51'49''14W

Price: Free

Accessible to visitors with limited mobility

Museu Jorge Vieira/Casa das Artes  (Museum Jorge Vieira / House of Arts)

Jorge Vieira Museum is part of the artistic legacy of the sculptor Jorge Vieira donated to the Municipality of Beja in 1994. Installed since May 1995, in a building of historic city center, old dwelling house and immediately before its adaptation to museum space, commercial property in the area of restoration, the Museum houses an important collection of sculptures, models and drawings written by Jorge Vieira, artist that marked the route of Portuguese art in the twentieth century.

The permanent collection can be visited on the first floor of the Museum. The reception, temporary exhibition hall and workshop rooms are on level 0.

Contacts:

Museum Jorge Vieira / House of Arts

Bull Street, 33

7800-489 Beja

Price: Free

Not accessible to visitors with limited mobility

 

Museu Episcopal de Beja (Igreja de Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres de Beja)  (Episcopal Museum of Beja - Church of Our Lady of Beja Prazeres)

The Episcopal Museum of Beja was founded in 1892 under the auspices of Bishop Antonio Xavier de Sousa Monteiro, by Monsignor Amadeu streets to avoid the dispersion of works of art belonging to the preceding monasteries and convents of Beja. Had the headquarters in the old building Bishop's Palace (College of St. Francis Xavier). Nationalized in 1911, its collection led to the Regional Museum, Museum today Queen Leonor. Restored in 2004, the Church of Our Lady of Joy, as one of the poles of Museology Diocesan Network.

Collections

Painting, sculpture, decorative arts.

Featured:

The decorative group from inside the monument, combining gold leaf, oil paintings and white blue tiles.

Activities:

Guided tours in Portuguese, English, French and Spanish (fixing in advance by email or by phone / included in the ticket price)

Free visit for school groups and seniors.

Contacts:

Largo dos Prazeres, 4

7800- 420 Beja

GPS 38º00'55''86N, 7º51'57''86W

Site: www.diocese-beja.pt

Prices: Normal ticket: 1.5 euros / Up to 12 years free.

Not accessible to visitors with limited mobility.

 

Museu Botanico (Botanical Museum)

The Botanical Museum of Agrarian School of Beja is a scientific culture center, designed for the presentation of temporary exhibitions illustrating the established age-old relationship between man and plants. The Museum aims to preserve study and disseminate knowledge and objects coming from collections and studies, economic botany and ethno botany, developed in Portugal and abroad. Through the study of manufactured objects from plants, vegetable raw materials and natural objects, the visitor can rediscover the ingenuity of man and the creative power of nature.

Contacts:

Botanical Museum

Agrarian School of Beja

Apartado 6158

7801-908 Beja Codex

Phone: 284 314 300 / Fax: 284 388 207

Site: www.esab.ipbeja.pt/museu/

Price: Free

museu_botanico.jpg

 

 

Ermida Sto. André  (Hermitage Sto. André)

National monument

The present building is part of the Gothic-Mudejar building tradition. The temple was probably built in the late fifteenth century or early sixteenth, possibly in the patronage action of Manuel. This is a type of building that is some parallels in the Alentejo region.

 Location: Lisbon Street

Igreja de Santo Amaro (Santo Amaro Church)

National monument

It is a basilica church, whose foundation seems to date back to late antiquity. Despite having undergone several changes over the centuries preserved still part of the central nave.

It now hosts the Visigoth the Regional Museum of Beja, whose collection of architectural elements is the most important group known in the country. Its existence justified the classification of the town of Beja as the capital of Visigothic Portugal.

Location: Santo Amaro Largo

Igreja da Misericórdia (Church of Mercy)

National monument

It was built in the mid-sixteenth century. This is a very important example of architecture of the Renaissance / Mannerist, strong Italian influence, inspired by the famous Loggia of Florence. It was initially designed to butcher, but his aesthetic impact was so strong that quickly was considered to be too noble for this function, adapting the building the church.

Location: Republic Square

Igreja Misericordia Beja_01.jpg

 

Convento Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Convent of Our Lady of Conception)

National monument

The Convent of Our Lady of Conception was founded by order of the first Duke of Beja, Fernando and Brites, parents of Queen Leonor and King D. Manuel, and was one of the richest monasteries in southern Brazil. In the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century, the city of Beja was the scene of major property destruction and this former convent survived only the church, the cloister, the chapter house and adjacent divisions. He is currently installed there the Regional Museum of Beja (Queen Leonor Museum) whose estate consists of important collections, highlighting the of tile, religious art, painting and archeology.

Location: Largo da Conceição

Convento de S. Francisco/Capela dos túmulos  (Convent of St. Francis / Chapel of the tombs)

Is located outside the medieval walls, next to the old road linking the Beja Mértola. It was founded in the thirteenth century, having undergone profound changes over the centuries, and are visible elements of different styles of architecture. The Gothic period on a call Chapel / Hall of Tombs, a family funeral chapel ever built in the fifteenth century, which is considered by some authors as one of the most interesting Gothic monuments of the country. This chapel is classified as a Public Interest.

Currently, the Convent of St. Francis is part of the network Pousadas de Portugal.

Location: Largo D. Nuno Alvares Pereira

Igreja Sta. Maria (Church of Santa Maria)

Public Interest

It is one of the oldest churches in Beja and, according to some authors, may have been built on the site of an ancient mosque. This is one of the best examples of so-called 'Gothic Alentejo', preserving the medieval period, the apse. Also noteworthy, the porch, the baroque altars and a representation of the 'Tree of Jesse', installed in a side chapel.

Location: Largo Santa Maria

Igreja de Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres  (Museu Episcopal de Beja)  (Church of Our Lady of Joy - Episcopal Museum of Beja)

Public Interest

Chapel dated 1672 to be two separate bodies. The simple façade does not denounce the artistic richness of its interior. Here is one of the most important religious art repositories of the city and a set of tiles with great beauty, composed of historians panels 1698 designed by the painter Gabriel del Barco. The body of the church is covered by baroque carving and tiles of the eighteenth century.

Location: Largo dos Prazeres

Igreja de Nossa Senhora de ao Pé da Cruz  (Church of Our Lady of the Foot of the Cross)

Public Interest

The Church of Our Lady of the Foot of the Cross is located in the old quarter of Alcaçarias. The original chapel date from 1499, but the building that now found there was built in the seventeenth century. With a facade "plain style" characterized by austere lines, hardly leaves guess the richness of its interior.

Location: Foot of the Cross Street

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Piedade  (Church of Our Lady of Mercy)

Located within the Great Hospital Our Lady of Mercy, built in 1490 by D. Manuel, Duke of Beja, has changed considerably over time. The interior is coated with gold leaf, and to highlight the main altar and the big screens of Italian school.

Location: Manuel I Street

Igreja do Salvador  (The Savior's Church)

Church whose foundation dates back to the thirteenth century. However the extensive renovations that target was being let not foresee anything that period. The main facade is sober and masonry.

Location: Largo Salvador

Sé Catedral  (Cathedral)

Although there are references to this temple from the reign of Ferdinand (Church of Santiago), have undergone profound changes in the 16th century. In the twentieth century turns out to be profoundly altered when adjusted to see.

It emphasizes the altar dedicated to St. Sezinando, natural and patron of Beja.

Location: Largo Lidador

se beja.jpg

 

Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Carmo  (Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel)

The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is located on the site where once stood the Chapel of Santa Catarina, ordered built by Diogo Fernandes widow of Beja, chief captain of the ship of the armed India.

It is a typical eighteenth-century church, with simple facade and gabled topped by spiers.

Location: Largo do Carmo

Ermida de Santo Estêvão  (Chapel of St. Stephen)

This is one of the oldest shrines of Beja, having been founded in the late thirteenth century to deposit rider Stephen Vasques. In 1915 it was donated to the Holy House of Mercy of Beja, having finished by function as barn. In 1940 it was restored and reopened for worship. It is a chapel of a nave and chancel, fully vaulted, Gothic characteristic of the time of King Dinis, with notorious Franco-Burgundian influence.

Location: Largo dos Prazeres

Ermida de S. Sebastião  (Chapel of St. Sebastian)

Church of Mannerist architecture, popular, with only one nave and chancel. Inside stand out the traces of tempera painting of the eighteenth century.

 Location: Largo Francisco Mendes

Convento de Santo António  (St. Anthony Convent)

Built in 1609, thanks to the alms of the city's population. In the first half of the nineteenth century is occupied by the Ministry of War and transformed into Military Hospital. Today, little remains of the original period, unless your convent aspect: concierge, chapel, cloister, bedroom and garden.

Location: St. Sebastian Street

Arco Romano / "Portas de Évora"  (Roman Arch / "Evora Ports")

National monument

Currently integrated in medieval castle, outside the citadel, this arc has undergone some vicissitudes over the centuries. Some authors point to its construction between the third and fourth centuries AD, integrated into the Roman walls and corresponding to one of the input ports in the city and were demolished in the sixteenth century. It is referred to the year 1938 as the date of its reconstruction, with traces subsisting in buildings demolished however.

It is also known as 'Evora doors' and is classified as a National Monument since 1910.

Location: Annex Castle

Janela Manuelina  (Manueline window)

One of the best examples of this existing style in Beja. The window originally belonged to the Carmo Convent, which was demolished later being placed in the current home.

Location: Afonso Costa Street, No 38

janela manuelina.jpg

 

Azulejaria de Beja  (Tiles of Beja)

By walking through the city streets and the inside of some buildings were not indifferent to the color and brightness of the tiles that decorate. There are five centuries of history tile that also have some history of the city.

azuleijos beja.jpg

 

Janela de Mariana Alcoforado  (Mariana Alcoforado window)

You can visit the Beja Regional Museum (Convent of Our Lady of the Conception) referenced the famous window in one of the letters of Mariana Alcoforado by which felt for the first time, the effects of his passion for the overwhelming Chamilly Marquis rider.

Location: Largo da Conceição (Regional Museum of Beja)

 

janela mariana alcoforada.jpg

 

Passo da Rua da Ancha  (Step of the Ancha Street)

Copy of the steps of the cross, of mannerist style (17th century). The 'steps' are elements of religious architecture, inserted on the facades of some buildings, intended to represent the Stations of the Cross of Christ, and they were covered in certain festivities or religious manifestations.

Location: Street Ancha, 11

Arcadas da Praça da República  (Arcades of the Republic Square)

Arcades Manueline in Republic Square. Time of the sixteenth century construction.

Location: Republic Square

Pelourinho de Beja  (Pillory of Beja)

Was ordered to do by Manuel after the grant of the New Reading charter in 1521. After a busy route the pillory was rebuilt in the twentieth century according to the original model, which are preserved some fragments.

Location: Republic Square

Pelourinhodebeja2006.jpg

 

Arco dos Prazeres  (Arc of Pleasures)

Arch that opened in indefinitely, between the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century century, consisting of full bow, double frames, changed in recent times the base for ease of road movement and which was saved from destruction by the poet Mario Beirão.

Location: Pleasure Arch Street

Janela de Rótulas  (Spherical window)

Eighteenth-century window in wood, designated as ball joints or trellis window.

Location: Ulmo Street

Arco das portas de Avis  (Arc of Avis doors)

The arc of this door was demolished in 1893. Later, granite blocks that formed were discovered in his new role (fishmonger tables of Santa Maria Market), which allowed its reconstitution in 1939.

Location: Avis Arch Street

Herdade dos Grous  (Herdade dos Cranes)

Built around a private lagoon, this farm with 593 acres of land hosts a horizon of observation cranes, which give it its name. In addition to all the natural beauty, has 55 hectares of vineyards, which can be visited on foot, by tractor or horse. The ground sets the wine tourism as one of its priorities, presenting their wines in a set of services: restaurant, shop and test space.

Store

Mon-Sun 9:30 to 18:30

(it is by appointment)

Contacts:

Of Cranes Ltd Estate

Address: 7800-601 Albernôa / Beja

Contacts: 284960000 | Fax: 284960072

Gastronomy

BEJA

Meet Beja is also the flavors of regional products here are made. Products that result from accumulated knowledge in time, going back to ancient practices, which also have the "fixing of hands" with the gestures of crops and do not lose the flavors ever. Meet some of these products.

sopa_cacao.jpg

(Sopa de Caçao) 

 

Typical dishes

 Soups:

Açorda the Alentejo

Dogfish soup to Alentejo

Tomato soup

Purslane soup with cheeses and eggs

Gazpacho the Alentejo

Meat:

Migas the Alentejo

Stew the Pastora

Cooked with beans

Confectionery:

Bread Rala

Nougat

Queijadas of Curd

Geladinhos of the Conception Convent

Cake of Good Hope Convent of Taste

Hope Convent of bacon tarts

Snacks:

Greaves

Roasted lamb heads

Coriander liver

Carrots in olive oil and garlic

Mushrooms

Gizzards in tomato sauce, olives

 

WINE AND OLIVE OIL

BEJA

Gomez Cabrera Lda

Fifth St Peter Baleizão

7800-611 Baleizão

Producer of olive oil. Brands La Comtesse and Secret of the Alentejo.

Olive oil producers

gomez cabrera.gif

 

Sociedade Agrícola Monte Novo e Figueirinha Lda.  (Agricultural Society Monte Young and Figueirinha Lda)

Herdade Monte New Figueirinha, Beja

7800 Beja

Wine and Olive Oil

The company Agricultural Society of New Mount and Figueirinha, Lda. Is established since 1998. The founder is the Commander Leonel Cameirinha and the management of the company is in charge of the founder and his grandson Philip Cameirinha Ramos. The New Mount Estate and Figueirinha has an area of 300 acres of flat land and good quality, near S. Brissos, about 5 km from Beja, Alentejo, the southern region of Portugal. The main productions are the vineyards and olive groves. The varieties of grapes and olives are carefully selected to embody the high quality wine and olive oil, with all the distinctive features of the Alentejo region. The Cellar Figueirinha was built in 2003 and is a modern winery equipped with the latest technology, to meet an annual production capacity of 800,000 liters of wine with grapes from 70 hectares of own production and other local producers. The winemaker is Eng. Sevinate Philip Pinto. With an area of 170 acres of olive groves, in 2006, the company decided to build the mill Figueirinha, with processing capacity of 8 million tons of olives, and produces a high quality olive oil. The technical advisor to the oil production is the Engineer João Gomes.

monte novo figueirinha.jpeg

 

Adega Cooperativa de Vidigueira, Cuba and Alvito CRL

Industrial Zone, Vidigueira

7960-305 VIDIGUEIRA

The Adega Cooperativa de Vidigueira, Cuba and Alvito, CRL already has more than half a century (1960), the result of the dream, the effort and work of the majority of growers in the regions of Vidigueira, Cuba and Alvito (currently about 300 active members).

It is a "home" which seeks daily reinvents an intersection of "lines" that complement and reinvent. The "line" of the Alentejo plain through generations, was continuous and traces the long experience of the cellar, the "line" that is inspired by the sea horizon of other times, in a vision of discovery and conquest of the future, reinvention and modernization; the "line" of a culture that unfolds the discovery of flavors and sensations - wine - united by the people who, yesterday and today, align all these lines a "line" only the CELLAR.

Because the world is a sea of opportunities as well as challenges, today's global; because we believe that, in addition to inserting in a country that is becoming ever more as a producer of fine wines and also a privileged region, the whole of the Alentejo and specificity of Vidigueira, which has a deep-rooted wine culture, and the very name of the Village its origin in the word vine; because it is part a global concept, the discoveries, while competitive advantage of 'conquest' of the global market, based on the unique distinguishing characteristics of our varieties; because, finally and above all, between the effective wine cellar count up the best indigenous varieties, maintained by several generations, of which distinguishes the Antão Vaz variety, also known as 'caste Vidígueira', producing a white unique and that will be the source of the White recognized the Alentejo, for us the variety 'muse' inspiring, the Cellar, a journey that takes place in acts interconnected their wines on a trip to their region, culture and history, a discovery here new 'sensory territories', their wines.

 

A-ADEGA vidigueira.png

 

Herdade dos Grous  (Herdade dos Cranes)

Albernôa

7800-601 Beja

Phone: +351 / 284/96 00 00

email: info@herdade-dos-grous.com

The estate has 700 hectares of cranes, 73 of which are dedicated to the production of wines.

The remaining area is divided by livestock production, olives, vegetables and horse breeding. At the heart of this property, is the dam of Herdade dos cranes, with a size of 98 hectares.

The estate of Cranes aims to provide products and services of high quality preserving regional characteristics combining traditional methods with new technologies.

Wines

Herdade dos Grous 23 barrels Red 2010

Legacy of the White Cranes 2011

Legacy of the White Cranes 2012

Herdade dos Cranes Moon Harvested Red 2010

Herdade dos Cranes White Book 2011

Herdade dos Cranes Tinto Reserva 2009

Herdade dos Cranes Red 2010

 

herdade-dos-grous-.jpg

 

to be continued...

Post by: António Duro

Autoria e outros dados (tags, etc)

publicado às 22:43



Mais sobre mim

foto do autor



Posts mais comentados


Arquivo

  1. 2016
  2. J
  3. F
  4. M
  5. A
  6. M
  7. J
  8. J
  9. A
  10. S
  11. O
  12. N
  13. D
  14. 2015
  15. J
  16. F
  17. M
  18. A
  19. M
  20. J
  21. J
  22. A
  23. S
  24. O
  25. N
  26. D
  27. 2014
  28. J
  29. F
  30. M
  31. A
  32. M
  33. J
  34. J
  35. A
  36. S
  37. O
  38. N
  39. D